- Ensure that the guitar neck is held firmly and that the fingerboard is straight by relaxing tension in the truss rod. Check with a straight edge.
- Remove the nut for ease of working.
- Any whet stone used should be checked for flatness and then lightly oiled.
- Make certain that the whet stone is laid flat and true to the fretboard.
- In long strokes, lightly hone the fret tops until all fret wear is removed.
- Using a fret file, re-profile all frets until their shape is restored
- Finally, gently polish the frets with fine wet and dry paper and then bring them to a high lustre with burnishing cream
More about fret dressing here
Read about refrets here