Internal bracing is an essential and important part an acoustic guitar’s structure. The bracing on a soundboard serves to reinforce and give it strength and stiffness to resist the powerful tension of the strings.
- Reinforcing bracing can also be found on the inside of the back of a guitar, again to stiffen and strengthen.
- Cracked or loose bracing usually presents itself through loss of tone or buzzing when a particular note is sounded.
- If a faulty brace is not attended to promptly it can result in further problems such as splits, cracks or distortion to various parts of the body.
- Braces can become loose due to either bad atmospheric conditions or a sharp blow to the outside of the instrument.
- If a loose or cracked brace is suspected, ensure that the string tension is removed and seek professional advice.